A DSLR Camera: Can be used for Ghost Hunting Photography but cannot see in the dark ultimately. You can use a red light to illuminate the area or just bring a flashlight for focusing, and you can quickly obtain apparitions if you can stand the insidious invasion of the paranormal.
Full Spectrum Digital Camera: – Takes quality Full Spectrum photos and video. They have been professionally modified to accept deeper Ultraviolet (UV) and Infrared (IR) light to allow photos deep into the usually unseen spectrum of light. Best used with an external infrared light source.
Infrared (IR) Digital Camera: – Takes quality IR photos and video with the convenience and ease of a compact digital camera with a built-in infrared light source.
DSLR Camera Lens:
This is a wide-angle lens event, but you ideally need a lens with an open aperture, such as 2.8 or below. The higher-end cameras will allow you to go to a very high ISO with less noise, so they are ideal. If you don’t have a high camera, any camera will do. After all, we are not going for super high-quality images here. We are going for super high amounts of paranormal activity that we can document. As long as we get our evidence, it doesn’t always have to look pretty. You can see some of our lower-end camera images above are filled with grain, but we got what we were after.
Ghost Hunting Camera Settings
For basic DSLR Photography, our goal is capturing activity not necessarily, always super high quality, so that we will do a few things a little out of the ordinary.
- You must use a tripod when shooting in the dark area.
- Set your camera to manual mode.
- Put your camera on the 2-second timer, or use a cable release.
- Set your ISO very high for very dark locations. This lets more light into the camera. Set it much lower if you are outside and have some light sources such as the moon. You cannot shoot a DSLR in total darkness. You will need some light sources such as church light, a full moon, or a red light in the back of a room. Set your ISO depending on how much light you have. Again, it’s not always about avoiding grain or digital noise here. ISO 100 for outdoors in graveyards with light. ISO 6400 for very dark areas or interiors.
- Set your aperture to the lowest it will go such (ex. 2.8) to let more light in if needed. If you need some depth of field, set the aperture a little higher. You cannot go too much higher in the darkness since the higher the number; the less light will come into the camera. Scroll your shutter speed until the meter reads center zero. You can take some test shots and adjust from there.
EMF Meters: Measure fluctuations in electromagnet fields (or EM fields). These fields are a direct result of electrical appliances in a home, cell phones, power lines outside, and even fluctuations in solar activity and weather. Beyond that, a primary theory in the paranormal world is that entities can manipulate these fields in their attempt to manifest themselves or interact with our world. When your meter goes off, do a long exposure on your tripod.
Focusing in the Dark
Now you are set. If you do not have enough light or if your camera will not focus, take a flashlight and light up a single subject in the picture. (Don’t blast light all over; you will disturb who it is you are there to find.) Put the focus point of where the camera will focus on the area you have lit up. When you see the camera has obtained focus and the two-second timer starts, turn your flashlight off. The camera will now take the shot. Set your camera to manual focus without touching the focus ring. Take several pictures without moving your camera. Every time you do different shots, you will have to refocus the same way again.
Another way to obtain focus in darker areas is to turn on live view. Hit your zoom button and zoom in on something lit. Expose your image. When you zoom in, the camera can see it better to grab focus.
Ghost Hunting Terms
- Apparition – A ghost or ghostlike image of a person.
- Automatism – an action performed unconsciously or involuntarily caused by spirits.
- Banshee – A female spirit whose wailing warns of impending death in a house
- Collective Apparition – A rare type of sighting in which more than one person sees the same apparition or phenomena.
- Digital and analog audio recording – Capturing any unexplained noises and electronic voice phenomena (EVPs).
- Direct Voice Phenomenon (DVP) – Voices spoken to the Medium at a séance.
- Earthbound – A term referring to a ghost or spirit that is attached to the earth unable to leave this dimension.
- Ectoplasm – a supernatural viscous substance. It is supposed to exude from the body of a medium during a trance.
- EMF Meters – Measures the fluctuations in electromagnet fields (or EM fields). These fields are a direct result of electrical appliances and can be cell phones, power lines outside, and possible fluctuations in solar activity and weather. Most noteworthy, a theory in the paranormal world is that entities can transform these fields to manifest themselves and event to contact this world.
- Electronic Voice Phenomenon (EVP) – Voices and sounds from beyond that are recorded.
- Ghost – A generic term referring to a form of an apparition, which is typically the visual appearance of a deceased human’s soul.
- Ghost Hunting – A research project in which various methods and equipment are used to investigate reports of ghosts.
- Ghoul – A Demonic or parasitic entity that eats human remains.
- EMF Meters – Measures the fluctuations in electromagnet fields (or EM fields). These fields are a direct result of electrical appliances in a home, cell phones, power lines outside, and even fluctuations in solar activity and weather. Beyond that, a primary theory in the paranormal world is that entities can manipulate these fields in their attempt to manifest themselves or interact with our world.
- Orb – The term orb describes unexpected, typically circular artifacts in photography—sometimes with trails indicating motion.
- Paranormal – Referring to something that is beyond the range of everyday human experience or scientific explanation.
- Phantom – sIt is seen, heard, or sensed, but has no physical reality (See Ghost).
- Paranormal Vortex: A vortex in everyday life is a whirling mass of either air or water. Some believe a paranormal vortex is a space where apparitions can travel between our world and theirs on the other side.
- Radio Voice Phenomenon (RVP) – Receiving the voice of a spirit through a regular radio.
- Reciprocal Apparition – A scarce type of phenomenon where humans communicate directly with spirits back and forth.
- Retrocognition – An experience where a person finds themselves in the past and can see events in which they knew nothing of.
- Shaman – A person who acts as a medium between the visible world and the spirit world. They practice healing, divination, and believed to have control over natural events.
- Spiritual Vortex: – These metaphysical dimensions are said to be areas of energy that enhance psychic abilities and can heal the spirit.
- Spiritualism – It is the belief system that the dead can communicate with the living through a medium.
- Vortex – An anomaly that appears in photographs. These images are sometimes thought to represent ghosts, collections of orbs, or gateways that travel to a wormhole in time-space.